What’s better than a bag full of candy on Halloween? How about a dark, delicious stout, hearty enough to get you through a chilly, ghoul-filled night?
Traditionally, stout referred to a strong, black beer, the “stout”est one produced by a brewery. Today it has become a broad category of beer known for its dark black color and roasted malt flavors. Lucky for you, some really great stouts are crafted right here in Orange County.
Just to be sure you’re not scared off by the prospect of this sometimes intimidating beer, below are five “must-try” stouts that may well become some of your favorite brews.
1. Beer advocates give The Bruery in Placentia highest marks for their Imperial Double Stout called Black Tuesday, which was released on October 27. If you like bold beer, this 19.5% ABV will have you hooked. Bottles are available from The Bruery for $30, with a 3 bottle limit per person.
2. Oggi’s Pizza’s Black Magic Stout is another highly recommended stout. As one of the best choices from this brewery, it includes a creamy roasted taste and full-bodied finish, without a lot of heaviness.
3. Another great find is the Zoot Suit Stout from Backstreet Brewery in Ladera Ranch. This is a bold and drinkable beer, brewed with cherry wood to add just the perfect amount of complexity.
4. And don’t forget the never-to-disappoint Tatonka Stout from BJ’s Brewhouse (with several Orange County locations), which is high in complexity, maltiness, and alcohol. Bring a growler home to enjoy at your Halloween party!
5. To round things out, JT Schmid’s in Tustin has an Extra Stout that packs some interesting nutty and tobacco flavors.
Now, go get your stout on and enjoy all the unique flavors that are almost as close as reaching in a trick-or-treat bag. Happy Halloween!